March 28, 2024, 04:52:21 PM

Author Topic: Aatrox, the Darkin Blade: Details and Opinions  (Read 719 times)

progresso

• Watchful Protector
  • Respected
  • Intelligence: 20
  • Now, let's cast a smile spell
    • [RC] progresso
    • pr0gr3ss0
Aatrox, the Darkin Blade: Details and Opinions
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »
So Red City, I want to start doing my own overview and opinions/guides for the new champions that will be released to the Fields of Justice. 

Aatrox is a basic attack dependent melee champion who excels as a duelist and team fighter. His built-in sustain and escape mechanics make him an ideal fit for top lane.

Abilities:

Blood Well- Passive
Whenever Aatrox uses an ability, he stores a portion of the health cost in the Blood Well.  This takes the place of his resource bar.  The health in it will slowly drain while out of combat.  When Aatrox dies, the Blood Well is emptied and he restores health equal to the amount in it.

Dark Flight - Q
Aatrox leaps at target area, dealing damage and knocking up enemies in the immediate area.

Blood Thirst - W
Aatrox is healed on every third attack.  The ability can be toggled to Blood Price.
     Blood Price - Every third attack deals bonus damage and costs health.  While active, he is not healed by Blood Thirst.

Blades of Torment - E
Aatrox fires a line attack that deals damage and slows enemies hit.  If he hits a champion, part of the health cost is refunded.

Massacre - R
Aatrox instantly damages all enemies in an area around him.  For the duration, he has bonus attack speed and attack range.  Massacre has no health cost.
Opinions:

Given his kit, he is going to be a top/mid lane champion with a possibility on being able to jungle depending on health costs and the health gain from blood thirst.  He has a strong engage with his Q, which gives him the opportunity to gank at level 6 with an almost guaranteed kill.  Playing like a bruiser with a Guardian Angel, you will probably not die unless your team seriously fucks up.  In a team fight, Aatrox can jump straight at the enemy carries and deal massive burst damage.  With his E, he can either kite enemies while disengaging or chase them down to clean up the fight.

Overall he seems a lot like a melee version of Vladimir, with the whole blood thing, with abilities similar to (but better in some ways) Xin Zhao.  His jump isn't target, allowing him to jump over walls, and is hard cc that can't be affected by tenacity.  His W is similar to Xin's W, but the toggle allows him to do a lot of extra damage.  His R has the attack speed boost of Xin's W while also increasing range and dealing damage similar to Xin's ult without the knockback, which I think is a plus.  The closest thing I can think of to his E would be Mundo's cleaver, but it has the advantage of being able to hit multiple enemies and probably does more damage.

All in all, if you play top, Aatrox seems like a solid champion to pick up, especially if you are a resource whore and don't know how to manage your mana.
"Some fight for honor, some fight for glory. It matters only that you fight." - Aatrox

Opinions on Aatrox and on the overview are appreciated <3

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:21:00 AM by progresso »
#casualchris
I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the boners of the elderly.

"During this time period women had few rights, as it should have been." - My English Teacher

Professor Plum

• Donator
  • Intelligence: 3
Aatrox, the Darkin Blade: Details and Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Lucian the Gun templar is rumored to be next champ which is linked in the lore with Atrox.
[/url]