March 28, 2024, 05:28:06 AM

Author Topic: How to vote on an application  (Read 1982 times)

Shadow

• Talk shit
  • Global Moderator
  • Intelligence: 145
  • Get hit
    • colind
    • ColinShadari
How to vote on an application
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
OK, I haven't been with Red City from the very start, but I've been with it for a while. I can honestly say I've seen enough to know how the application process works, whether it be fair or unfair. To be honest, I'm not liking the repeating trend that's so keen on re-arising.

It starts like this. One person, completely new to the server, asks us (mods, admins, super-admins, owners)  if they can become an admin of the server. Naturally, as our job tells us to, we say something along the lines of, "No, but you can go to our forums and submit an application to be reviewed on there, and we will get back to you. Please make your application according to the required format for this server."

This spawns a massive influx of "X's Admin Application for Zarth's Ultimate Chimera Hunt" or "Y's Admin Application for Red City TTT server" and even the elusive "Z's admin app". Once one person applies, everyone applies, and the forums become one giant circlejerk of voting. This needs be changed.

That's why I'm writing this, I'm here to tell you how to respond to an admin application in a way that will make your vote stand out more, and will stop the forums from having the last ten consecutive posts be "+1".

Currently, what's happening is people will sign up to our forums, post an application, and then call in their friends to come support them. This isn't necessarily wrong, it's just dishonest when it comes to the voting process, and it clogs up the admin section. We see people posting in the section with that being the only post to their account, and while forum posts aren't the most important thing in the world when it comes to the applications, it makes the folks who sit around the forum take your application more seriously. I will be the first to admit that I will look at "[RC] BIG RED's Super Administrator Application for TTT" before I look at "xXMLG360n0sc0p3Xx's super admin app" because I know BIG RED from around the forums, and can go back and, if needed, cite examples of how he has been helpful or not so helpful. The same goes for supporting an application. I am more likely to take what Progresso, for example, has to say over what some first post user says. Which brings me to my next point.

"+1" does not cut it. If you're going to support an application you need to say why and be descriptive about it. "He's a cool dude, RPs well and is a nice guy" is great, but that does not help us decide if he is good for the responsibility at all. Sure being friendly and cool is a good bonus, but because that's all that's written about a person does not give us any indication of how well they will work under pressure or when confronted. You need to tell us why or why not you think this person would do well as an admin in terms that will actually support their application and get your vote noticed more. If you say why someone is a great person, they do well under pressure, they have shown a sense of responsibility when X did Y and s/he handled it with Z, then we're going to read that and we're going to think, "Hey, I may not know this person very well, but they sound like they have what it takes, I'll throw in my support as well."

The same goes for the opposite. If you do not support someone's application, you're free to give a "-1" - but again, tell us why. Tell us why s/he shouldn't be in command, tell us where they screwed up and what the result was because of it. Feed us that information so we can better make a decision. Being friendly is important, tell us if they were a total bitch to you. Here's the catch; you have to do it in a way that is respectful and civilized.

If you don't know if you support them or not, you're also free to leave a "Neutral" vote. This gives you a chance to leave your opinion for others to read, while not directly supporting or going against that application. Use this wisely, as while it does not directly support or go against one person, it can hugely impact the way others will vote.

There are only these three options when voting. There are no fractions (+1/3, -6/8) as that gets hard to add up and it gets infectious. Once one person does it, everyone starts doing it. That's not a good thing, people.

Here's an example of a bad response to an application:
+1, he's a cool guy and is fun to play with.

Here's an example of a good response to an application:
+1 He's nice. He seems to know what he's doing and has shown respect for other players in the past. I know that when he says he'll do something, he'll do it and has helped me in various situations when faced with X Y and Z

You don't have to write an essay, but for gods sake, people. Write why you think that someone should be a part of our staff because this isn't some out of the hat drawing.

While voting please use bold when saying +/-1. It helps us count votes immensely.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:08:43 AM by rickyshort »
Read this before posting![/url]

tomarndt

• bai bai RC
  • Gold Member
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Hi Glitch.
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/tomarndtbro/
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »
Oh my god I thought you were...fractions...god, I'm relieved.

Good stuff, though.

langile

• Respected>Server admin.
  • Respected
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Canadian eh?
    • langile
    • langile1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »
Once one person applies, everyone applies

Zarth started it.

Anyways thank you for this, I'm seeing alot of that thing of "Ill vote for you if you vote for me as well."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:46:55 PM by langile »

Mr.TK

• Red City Co-owner
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Fondling melons all night long.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
Stickied this.

Good stuff.

Darkarrow04

• Retired
  • Gold Member
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Stabbing Glitchvid while he sleeps - 2013
    • i_own_you_badly
    • Darkarrow044
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
Thank you for posting this Shadari. Someone needed to say it.